The old smokehouse from 1883 is built into the rocks. The smokehouse is in four bays and built in a very simple timber frame as there is no filling timber. The gables are brick and the roof is tiled. The chimney, which is also built directly on top of the rocks, is referred to as a factory chimney, as it is built on the outside of the building. At the front of the building a low wall was built as a kind of courtyard, here the herds probably hung to dry before smoking. The old smokehouse was then called Petersens Røgeri, where the name comes from is not known, as the founder was called Niels Peter Grønbech, was a merchant and owned a grocery store in Havnegade (the old warehouse), he also owned at the time a salt works that was located on the site next to the smokehouse. The smokehouse is among the first to be built on Bornholm.