Allinge Church, built in the mid-16th century, was originally a chapel, referred to in 1569 as Alende Capell. Until 1941 it was an annex of Ols Church.
The church is located in the middle of the town, 11 m above sea level and only about 100 m from the sea. There is no large cemetery at the church, as the road network and buildings have prevented the cemetery from expanding. In 1854 a solution was found so that the cemetery could again accommodate some more graves. The north-western corner of the mound was raised by about 1.2 m and filled with earth so that burials could be carried out on top of the old graves. In 1864 the new cemetery was built west of the church, in Pilegade about 350 m from the church.
The church consists of a late Gothic longhouse, which originally had a straight, chamfered east gable of irregular split granite with openings of monks’ stone. The height of the wall is approx. 4.25 m. The original doors in the north and south walls were bricked up around 1850 and 1892, although these doors are marked on the outside. However, it is not possible to see any traces of the original windows, but a painting on the church’s pulpit gives an idea of how the church looked around 1750.
The church bears the mark of having been altered shortly after its construction, and probably again in the Renaissance period.
The tower is somewhat narrower than the longhouses and probably dates from the late 16th century. The lower storey is built in split granite. The west portal is from 1865. The belfry was originally a timber construction covered with boards and finished with a saddle roof. But in 1865 the entire upper part of the tower was removed and replaced with bricks with cambered gables and a zinc roof.
In 1892 the church underwent a major transformation. The eastern part of the nave was demolished and replaced by two brick transepts and a narrower chancel. After that rebuilding, there was seating for 600 churchgoers, although the number of seats was later halved.
The tower clock from 1865 is very special, and probably the only one in Denmark. The watch was donated by “patriots” and made by watchmaker Jens Peter Poulsen Møller. However, it was an unknown painter who was to paint the Roman numerals on the dial – but he apparently did not have a full grasp of these numerals, because there is no 9 numeral (lX) on the clock, but there are two 11 numerals (Xl) on the dial. So you can never meet under the tower clock at 9 am in Allinge.
On the small lawn by the church, there is a bronze statue made in 1983 by sculptor and ceramist Arne Ranslet. The statue depicts an elderly lady with her bag, which has been given wings. The lady looks a little sad, and the artist’s idea was to symbolise the transformation that happens from human to angel when you die.
Immediately inside the church door you can see an old money block from the early 1700s. Frederik d. 4’s monogram is forged in the iron lid. Frederik d. 4. was Norwegian-Danish king from 1699 – 1730.
In the church you can see an old late Gothic choir crucifix hanging on the wall next to the baptismal font. The crucifix dates from 1520 and was renovated in 1992 at the request of the National Museum when the church was undergoing renovation. On the floor is a six-branch candlestick, given as a gift when the church reopened in 1992. The gift was donated by the former Allinge-Gudhjem Municipality.
The pulpit dates from around 1650 and consists of five bays, four of which contain statues of the evangelists. The 5th subject is Frederik d. 3rd monogram (Danish-Norwegian king 1648 – 1670). One story tells that the pulpit was not intended for Allinge Church in the first place, but the ship carrying the pulpit ran aground in the north, and the pulpit was rescued and placed in Allinge Church.
The baptismal font dates from 1890 and is made of bog granite. The baptismal font is of more recent date. The granite floor was first laid in 1992.
The old organ from 1864 has 6 voices, and as it has pedal brackets it is also functional without electricity. It was renovated in 1992. The new organ is from 1962 and has 12 voices.
The altarpiece is from ca. 1625 and in Renaissance style. The chandelier hanging in the choir is from about 1650 and it is said that it has been at Hammershus.
The ship – Naos – hanging in the church was donated in 1905 by the Allinge-Sandvig Seamen’s Association and built by Herman Svensson in Rosengade. Villy Holm, Tejn, renovated the ship Naos in 1992.